Young Carers Lead:
Mr N Muir
Young Carers Support:
Mrs E Bratley
What is a young carer?
A young carer is someone under the age of 18 who helps support and look after somebody in their family, who may be unwell through a disability or mental/physical illnesses. Often a young carer will take on many tasks, such as:
- Cooking and cleaning for the family
- Helping younger siblings to get dressed or ready for school
- Administering medication
- Physical care, such as helping someone out of bed
- Emotional support
- Helping someone communicate
- Managing a family budget
Because of their caring role, many Young Carers may struggle in areas such as school, homework or seeing their friends.
How do we support young carers?
- Monthly lunchtime Student Welfare drop in (1-1)
- Young Carers are allowed to phone home
- Homework support
- Termly group meetings
If you have any questions, or you think your child may be a Young Carer, please contact Mr N Muir, Assistant Head Teacher Care and Guidance
We have been awarded a Young Carers in school Bronze award: