At William Farr School, we are proud of our connections with the Royal Air Force and its heritage, and we are proud to have children of serving Royal Air Force personnel among our students.
The origins of our School go back to 1946, when the Reverend William Farr, Vicar of St Mary's Church in Welton village, bought surplus land from the Air Ministry to be used as the site for a new school. His wish was fulfilled when the school opened in 1952, just three years before his death.
The land involved had previously formed part of RAF Station, Dunholme Lodge, and had contained the Station's two Communal Sites. During the Second World War, the airfield had been home to squadrons of Avro Lancaster aircraft of RAF Bomber Command.
Commemorating the RAF Heritage
William Farr School is proud to commemorate its RAF heritage. Badges of the Squadrons based at RAF Dunholme Lodge are displayed at the School's main entrance, and a Roll of Honour, listing the names of aircrew lost while flying from the airfield, is displayed in the Lawres Room.
FOR YOUR TOMORROW, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAY.
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.